Shanabananablog » 2006 » january

Memphis Bound

Filed under Friends on Tuesday January 31, 2006 at 1:07 pm

I am really excited. I am going to visit my friend Erica who lives in Memphis this April. She, Tim and I met in college. We had psychology together. She used to let me wear her sweaters – I was sweater poor in college. She moved from Washington in 1998 and I visited her, but it’s coming up on 8 years since I’ve seen her – we e-mail and talk regularly. When I visited in 1998, went to Graceland, downtown Memphis and a beautiful Southern estate. I loved Graceland and all it’s bizzare wonder. You tour through the house and at the end, you come to his grave. Right before the grave, you stand in his raquetball court. Over a loudspeaker, a man tells you the story of Elvis and how on his last day, he worked out and had a heart attack! Kind of different than the drug induced death that I remember. Well, when she and I heard the man say that Elvis played raquetball at all, we started to giggle. We caught ourselves as we looked around and saw several people in tears.

I can’t wait to see her!

3 comments

Dan Rather and a Romantic Dinner

Filed under Uncategorized on Friday January 27, 2006 at 7:36 am

Strange title right? I received tickets to see Dan Rather speak at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. Tim picked me up at work on Thursday and we made our way downtown. We were both starving and weren’t completely sure where to eat. We parked at the Walt Disney Concert Hall and walked across to the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. We found an outdoor restaurant next to a beautiful fountain. It was so romantic. We sat under a heater with a perfect view of the fountain. We drank wine, had excellent fish and split a dessert called the Magic cube. It was a two layer chocolate mousse covered in chocolate.

Dan Rather was very interesting. It was strange to see him so close – we had excellent seats. I felt like we grew up with him. He focused on the responsibility of the press to ask “the hard questions”. So often we go to movies or watch TV. I enjoyed the political discourse. The crowd was very liberal and let’s just say the collective “sigh” when the words “George Bush” were uttered was loud! But Dan stayed away from finger pointing. Bill Clinton is coming in April and we are going to try to get tickets.

It was a night to remember!

No comments

Netflix

Filed under Movies on Wednesday January 25, 2006 at 7:33 pm

Hey Kids – I’ve got a great new thing for you to try! It’s called Netflix. You can rent movies and they send them to your home and then you mail back. Heard of it? Yes, well that’s because we are the last people in America to try it! But if, like me, you are behind the times somehow, sign up! The selection is outrageous! The documentary section is so huge! We rented several.

6 comments

A Few Good Movies

Filed under Movies on Wednesday January 25, 2006 at 7:30 pm

Last night, we went to see “The Squid and the Whale”. All the performances are incredible in this movie. Jeff Daniels in particular is excellent. I hope he gets nominated for an Academy Award. It’s about a family going through a divorce in the late 80’s and how it effects each of them. The child actors are wonderful. The youngest boy is played by Kevin Kline and Phoebe Cates’ son. He reminds me so much of her – the way he moves his eyes. I believe it’s leaving theaters this week, but when it pops up to rent, be sure to get it.

We also saw “Walk the Line” on Sunday. So far, this is my favorite movie of the year. Johnny went through so much and had so many demons. But this movie is a love story. And it’s a very satisfying love story. June Carter Cash and Johnny have an affair of sorts for 10 years on stage. Reese and Joaquin give passionate performances. I was blown away by the singing. Joaquin had every mannerism down. I don’t know a lot about Johnny Cash, but one of my favorite songs is “Ring of Fire”. June wrote that song about her feelings for him. It’s still out there so try to see it in the theater, but if you don’t rent that one too.

I have three movies left to go and then I’m ready for the Academy Awards on March 5th: “Brokeback Mountain”, “The Constant Gardner” and “Cinderella Man”. What a great year for films!

No comments

Shocker

Filed under Cooking on Thursday January 19, 2006 at 9:40 am

My mom got me a subscription to Rachael Ray’s magazine. I like Rachael, but I’m not a big fan. Well, I was surprised – it is a really good magazine. I found a couple of great recipes and she had a fun section on specialty markets in New York. I recommend picking it up some time – you might be surprised too!

3 comments

New Site

Filed under Friends on Tuesday January 17, 2006 at 8:54 am

My friend Judy just developed her own website. It looks fabulous. Check it out – the link is:

www.judyludy.com

No comments

Steven and David

Filed under Friends on Monday January 16, 2006 at 7:49 am

I am so impressed. Our friend David (the guy on the right) ran the Walt Disneyworld marathon last week. He ran 26.2 miles! Congratulations David!!!

2 comments

SueAnn 2005

Filed under Cats on Monday January 16, 2006 at 7:45 am

This made me laugh – she is such a Devil!

1 comment

Capote

Filed under Movies on Friday January 13, 2006 at 4:41 pm

I admit that I am not the most well-read person! But many years ago, I read a short story by Truman Capote called “The Grass Harp” – on my own and not for college. I loved it. It’s a beautiful touching story with incredible imagery. And we all know “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” – actually a darker short story than the movie. But my strongest memories of Truman Capote are from the movie “Murder by Death”. This is a Neil Simon movie that parodies the murder mystery genre.

Over the years, I meant to read “In Cold Blood”, but didn’t get around to it. I know the story and the impact of the book. When “Capote” came out, I knew it was a must see. Last night, we finally caught it at the Sunset 5 in Hollywood. What an amazing movie!  Philip Seymour Hoffman gave one of the best performances I’ve EVER seen. I truly felt that I went through the experiences with Capote. All the emotion – the narcissism, compassion and grief. The character was so vivid and real for me. I highly recommend this movie.

No comments

Film Score Monthly

Filed under Tim on Monday January 9, 2006 at 11:25 am

Today is a big day. Last September, the owner of the magazine  Tim works for, Film Score Monthly, decided to call it quits. So Tim and Jon thought it over and came up with a plan to move the magazine online. It’s been a huge process. They’ve added podcasts, audio streaming for interviews and a lot of perks.

If you are interested in film music, you can subscribe by following this link – it’s only $5 a month:

No comments — next page »